What is Xamiol Gel used for :
Xamiol is used as topical treatment of scalp psoriasis in adults. Psoriasis is caused by your skin cells being produced too quickly. This causes redness, scaling and thickness of your skin. Xamiol contains calcipotriol and betamethasone.
Calcipotriol helps to bring the rate of skin cell growth back to normal and betamethasone acts to reduce
How to use Xamiol Gel :
• Use only on your psoriasis on the scalp and do not use on skin which does not have psoriasis
• Washing your hair before application of Xamiol is not necessary
• Shake the bottle before use and remove the cap
• Before applying Xamiol to the scalp, comb the hair to remove any loose scales. Tilt your head to
make sure Xamiol does not run onto your face. It may help to part your hair before you use
Apply Xamiol to the affected area with your fingertips, and rub it in gently
• Usually an amount between 1 g and 4 g per day is sufficient for treatment of the scalp (4 g
corresponds to one teaspoon)
• Do not bandage, tightly cover or wrap the treated skin area
• Wash your hands well after using Xamiol. This will avoid accidentally spreading the gel to other
parts of your body (especially the face, mouth and eyes)
• Do not worry if some gel accidentally gets on normal skin near your psoriasis, but wipe it off if it
spreads too far
• In order to achieve optimal effect, it is recommended that the hair is not washed immediately after
application of Xamiol. Let Xamiol remain on the scalp during the night or during the day.
• After applying the gel, avoid contact with textiles which are easily stained by grease (e.g. silk).
Washing your hair before application of Xamiol® is not necessary.
Shake bottle before use
Apply a drop of Xamiol to fingertip
Apply directly to scalp areas where you can feel the raised plaque and rub the Xamiol gel on to the skin. Depending on the affected area 1-4g (up to 1 teaspoon) is normally enough.
Read the Patient Information Leaflet before you start using this medication and each time you get a refill