Contains the active ingredient : Amoxicillin which belongs to a group of antibiotics called penicillins. It works by interfering with the ability of bacteria to form cell walls.
The cell walls of bacteria are vital for their survival. They keep unwanted substances from entering their cells and stop the contents of their cells from leaking out. Amoxicillin impairs the bonds that hold the bacterial cell wall together. This allows holes to appear in the cell walls and kills the bacteria.
Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that kills a wide variety of bacteria that cause a wide variety of commonly-occurring infections.
What is it used for?
Amoxicillin is used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria, such as the following:
- Chest infections (lungs or lower respiratory tract), eg acute bronchitis, chronic bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Infections of the nasal passages, sinuses or throat (upper respiratory tract infection), eg sinusitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, tonsillitis.
- Infections of the middle ear (otitis media).
- Infections of the urinary tract or kidneys (pyelonephritis).
- Infection of the heart valves and the lining surrounding the heart (bacterial endocarditis).
- Dental abscesses (as addition to surgical management).
- Typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
- Lyme disease.
Eradicating Helicobacter pylori bacteria from the gut in people with peptic ulcers (in combination with other medicines).Amoxicillin was discovered in 1958 and came into medical use in 1972. It is on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines, which lists the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. It is one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics in children
The onset of an allergic reaction to amoxicillin can be very sudden and intense; emergency medical attention must be sought as quickly as possible. The initial phase of such a reaction often starts with a change in mental state, skin rash with intense itching (often beginning in fingertips and around groin area and rapidly spreading), and sensations of fever, nausea, and vomiting. Any other symptoms that seem even remotely suspicious must be taken very seriously. However, more mild allergy symptoms, such as a rash, can occur at any time during treatment, even up to a week after treatment has ceased. For some people allergic to amoxicillin, the adverse effects can be fatal due to anaphylaxis.